Most traditional big brand shampoos and conditioners contain synthetic chemicals that are potentially harmful to our skin and overall health. This statement holds true for even some established “professional” brands sold by some salons. That foamy, beautiful smelling goodness that lathers up in your hair actually contains many harmful ingredients such as sulfate, alcohol, silicone, parabens, and even traces of anti-freeze! At the end of this blog, you can find a list of ingredients to avoid when buying your shampoo and conditioner.
Is Natural Shampoo different and how does it work?
They simply don’t have the chemicals present in traditional shampoos. They contain natural ingredients like proteins, essential oils, vitamins, fruit extracts and so much other goodness. These ingredients in themselves are amazing nutrients for your hair. Importantly, they also don’t have the SLS ingredient, which means that they don’t lather up as well. Don’t worry – this doesn’t mean that they don’t clean your hair…simply give an extra rinse, and your hair will be just as clean and shiny as ever
5 Reasons You Should Choose A Natural Shampoo:
- Unlike traditional shampoos, they won’t irritate and dry out your scalp, because they are soft and gentle.
- On the same note, lack of chemicals means that your hair won’t be damaged or dried out.
- Do you have coloured hair? It doesn’t strip colour, and can actually make it look more radiant.
- All the nutrients, vitamins, and oils in natural shampoos will provide the nourishment your hair needs, making it healthy and beautiful.
- They are absolutely safe to use, so you don’t need to be worried about ingesting harmful chemicals into your body and skin.
What to Avoid When Buying Your Hair Products
Here is a main list of 13 ingredients you should avoid:
- Sodium laureth sulfate
- Sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS)
- Ammonium lauryl sulfate
- Diethanolamine (DEA)
- Triethanolamine (TEA)
- Polyethelyne glycol
- Alcohol (if listed as one of the first four ingredients)
- Propylene Glycol (aka anti-freeze)
- Siloxanes (ending in -siloxane or -methicone)
If you have any concerns about your current hair care regime please visit the salon and we can guide you through what ingredients you are advised to avoid.
Happy and healthy hair days.